Wayfarer in Eternal Reality

Wandering the desolate wastes, a man stands alone. and yet his heart knows, that a place has been prepared for him. And so, he moves on...

Sunday

Week 11 - SJSM

I've caught up! *does a little dance* : )

~~~

St John's.St Margaret's Chuch has been one of the churches I've known about all my life, and yet have never been to. It sits along Dover Avenue, the very stretch of road that I would pass by at least once a week, but most often at least 6 days a week as I trundled to school, to work, or to church, in either buses 14 or 166.

In a sense, I've seen the church grow; at least the facade of it. However it was only in the last few years that I began to hear stories about the church, and so my interest in visiting it grew.

Dennesa was my visiting companion this evening, and we would meet her close friend Adeline there, as well as our dear friend Siwei and her boyfriend Daryl. I hope I got the spelling for their names right!

We were late (again! >.<) by a few minutes, and Addy met us at the door and brought us to some seats. The songs being sung were new (Christ Tomlin and Matt Redman), but I didn't know any of them. The hall was old, the congregation mature, the music and worship earnest, the service honest.

SJSM uses the same order-of-worship book as PSPC does, although only for a few segments of the service (Prayer and Holy Communion). I remember having mixed feelings at the service, a conflux of thoughts and emotions from the events of the day, both personal (working through some relationships in my life) and global (the ongoing Japan disaster), and the very nature of visiting a new church and meeting old friends. I guess God knew this rather confusing symphony in me, and I'm quite thankful that by mid-service the Holy Spirit had settled my heart enough to be open, and to listen.

And so we prayed, prayed for the world and those whom we did not know who were suffering, and then prayed, prayed for those whom we did know who were suffering. Thinking now, the number of people who are going through dire circumstances in their life are not few; and these from just the people I know personally. Lord, have mercy.

After the time of prayer, the message was brought forth by a visiting pastor (strrrike four. man-oh-man...) Rev Canon Terry Wong, Senior Pastor of St James Church. He spoke on the "Temptation of Jesus - Tempted Yet Without Sin". On another note, it is the beginning of Lent, and the message was tied closely to the discipleship that comes from the observance of this season.

Oh. And I didn't record it, but he had a brilliant "Bah Kwa" story that gave a picture of falling into temptation. Hilarious, and yet so close to heart and real.

~~~

Some thoughts -
The first Adam failed. The second passed.
The first was in the Garden, the second in a desert.
The first had a companion, the second did not.
They were both tempted by the chance to be like God, or to be God and "act like it".

How does temptation work?

1)
Temptation works by making you focus on the need of the hour. The need can be very real. But when we focus on the need alone, we often forgo all else. Like needing love, companionship, food, etc. But Jesus says do not be led by these needs. Do not live a self living life, but live a God pleasing life.

Often the steps to falling into temptation, are small and simple. Lots of "it couldn't hurt". "What is wrong with just a little bit.", but one thing always leads to another. When you are at it, it's wonderful; after it, it is just terrible. Shame, defeat, and sadness.

2)
Temptation also works by focusing you on SOME of the truth. It gets us to focus on what is good, but not the whole picture. Oftentimes the temptation challenges us to question our trust in God.

3)
Last, temptation works by focusing us on the end. On achieving the end goal regardless of the journey, to fulfill the significance of life, without remembering the road Christ is leading you on.

To God, the journey to get there is just as important.

~~~

We had Holy Communion after the sermon. Come to think of it, I've had HC every week for a while. I like it. This HC was no different. Something amazing happened, although not for me. But its still amazing. Its always wonderful to see God do his work in the lives of people.

After the service we all managed to meet up and talk for a while; Siwei knows Adeline from way back, they all went to the same school at one point in time or another. Thats the great thing about being in Singapore I suppose? Everyone knows everyone. (sorta) It only doesn't rock when there's ill feelings for this or that person somewhere along the line. I suppose as we grow older, we could learn to let go of old, childish, hurts and dislikes, but sometimes not everyone matures as quickly as our mortal bodies do.

Siwei and Daryl had to go shopping, so Adeline, Dennesa and I went to the place once known as Jumbo for dinner. The Holland V XO Fish Meat Bee Hoon had shifted there, and Addy was very excited when she heard that.

Dinner was very enjoyable, and it was nice to get to know Adeline a little better. It was also nice to gorge on good food, albeit the prices were a little less desirable (1x Yu Pian Mee Fen + 1x San Lao He Fen = $22!). All in, a good evening.

Next week would be a week without visiting a church; the boys from F&B are celebrating Vincent's stag night, and we would be traveling out of the country for a day. Maybe I could find an evening service on a weekday this week? Hrmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home