Week 8 - FCBC
FCBC will be shifting back to Touch @ Marina soon I think. But anyway, Michelle and I found ourselves at Expo, that early Sunday morning. I think I gained a lot of respect for all you brothers and sisters who find it in themselves to travel alllllllll the way to Expo while the church was there. Its such a long journey!
Faith Community Baptist Church was a church I had heard much of, but knew little of. I had heard about Pastor Lawrence Khong, about the G12 cell group thingy, even about his magic shows and all. I had never known much about the church though, and what to expect.
As it turns out, mega churches (at least the ones I've been to) don't differ that much. Loud music, flashy visuals, massive band, high tech systems; similar (but not identical) service formats. Please note I don't find anything wrong with that, I'm actually quite comfortable with it. I think the only thing I didn't like was the air-conditioning temp... way too cold. Brrr.
Oh there was one other thing. The seats we were in were located on a raised platform that shook every time someone walked across it. I was very (unfortunately) irritated and distracted by that. I suppose I didn't have a good week before that either, and that irritation just played on it.
Anyhow, we didn't manage to listen to Pastor Khong as they had a guest speaker that week. Some of the notes from his sermon below...
Ps Billy Wilson - Empowered Expectations
Malachi 4:5-6, Acts 2:17-18, 39, Psalm 90:1
Your spiritual destiny will be determined by your response to your spiritual father and mother, and your spiritual legacy will be determined by your actions to your spiritual children.
What we do in this generation will affect the generations to come.
Every generation has to seek God and find out their mission for that generation. However, there is a role of mentorship that affects the next generation.
Every generation needs to discover for themselves:
1) The providence of God.
2) The power of God.
~~~
I suppose I didn't agree with everything he said, but the last bit rings very true... every Christian, not just every generation, needs to discover and learn for themselves the providence and power of God in their lives. This is the reality of a real relationship with God. You can't hang on the coattails of your friends or family, or even mentor or pastor. You have to encounter God on your own. We are all branches, grafted into the same vine.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home